Filmbrain does the pictorial math on the new Willy Wonka. His general verdict is that Johnny Depp's performance is "both disturbing and more than a little irritating ... far more misanthropic than anything Dahl wrote, he's completely lacking in the charm that allowed Wilder to get away with those insulting one-liners." As for the movie on the whole? It's "far, far better than Filmbrain imagined it would be. However, Burton (as he did in Big Fish) drags the film down into an almost Spielbergian treatise on bad fathers and the importance of family." We'll have two of our own reviews of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory his weekend, so check back for them.
Most Popular Articles
- Kit Harington Fooled His 'Game of Thrones' Castmates, Too
- Blake Lively Outsmarts a Shark in Bloody Intense 'The Shallows' Trailer
- 'Game of Thrones': Does Ramsay Get This Long-Absent Character as a 'Gift'?
- Taylor Swift May Cameo as Dazzler in 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
- Dylan O'Brien's 'Very Serious' Injuries Worse Than Expected, 'Maze Runner' on Hold
- 'The Craft': 10 Things You (Probably) Didn't Know About One of Your Favorite...