Ha ha, just kidding. Guess what - Brokeback Mountain won! Get used to it. (But how on earth did they manage to overlook Noah Baumbach for The Squid and the Whale? That screenplay's won a lot of early awards. Color me both peeved and confused.) Trophies for Larry McMurtry, the king of the modern western novel, and writing partner Diana Ossana. Ossana reads a boring, very gracious speech while McMurtry stands there looking at his feet. Then he gets to talk and thanks the lawyers, his son and grandson, and his typewriter, "surely one of the noblest instruments of European genius." He's used it for 30 years, in a successful effort to avoid the evils of technology. Nice. I've always respected him based on reputation alone, but that was awesome - classy, simple, funny as hell. So that's what a good writer sounds like.
Most Popular Articles
- Neil Patrick Harris Is Unrecognizable as Netflix's Count Olaf in 'Unfortunate' Set Photo
- Alicia Vikander to Play Lara Croft in 'Tomb Raider' Reboot
- 'The Craft': 10 Things You (Probably) Didn't Know About One of Your Favorite...
- J.K. Rowling Apologizes for, and Explains, Another Harry Potter Death
- 5 Reasons Why Nothing Can Stop 'Jungle Book' at the Box Office
- Watch Chris Hemsworth Mock 'Pathetic' Avengers for Ditching Thor and Hulk