Welcome to Captain's Log -- your (semi) daily round-up of sci-fi randomness from around the web. Here's what's happening today:
- Director Steven Norrington says he's returning to Marvel's Blade franchise for a possible prequel film starring Stephen Dorff as Frost, the big bad vamp from the original movie.
- Y: The Last Man writer Brian K. Vaughan is leaving Lost. Vaughan has been with the show since season three, helping to develop it's vast mythology and it's character's taste for geeky pop culture. What's the comic book writer's next project? Roundtable, a film described as a twist on the King Arthur legend.
- Is there a Twilight vampire baby on the way? MTV U.K. says Kristen Stewart might be pregnant with Robert Pattinson's (probably) pasty child.
More sci-fi awesomeness after the jump. img width="150" vspace="4" hspace="4" height="128" border="0" align="right" alt="star wars darth vader toaster" id="vimage_3" src="http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.moviefone.com/media/2009/07/star_wars_toaster.jpg" />- A Darth Vader toaster? Batttlestar Galactica beat you to that one, Lucasfilm.
- Sounds like Claire from Heroes will do some experimenting in college. Hayden Panettiere might film a girl-on-girl love scene for the show's upcoming season.
- I'm saving up my blogging money to buy this classic Egon Spengler Ghostbusters action figure, a Comic-Con exclusive:
- There's gonna be a Marvel Venom movie. And Stan Lee's cameo is already written (by the writers of the upcoming flick Zombieland).
- Brandon Routh's contract to play Superman has expired. He still wants to wear the tights, but Warner Bros. might have different ideas for the Man of Steel. SciFi Now has a few ideas of their own about who could take Routh's place in another Superman flick.
- The SciFi Channel officially became "Syfy" this morning.
- Tim Minear says his new Alien Nation series will be a sci-fi Starsky and Hutch "but in a post-modern, Tarantino kind of way."
- And finally ... io9 counts down 15 sci-fi sequels that don't suck. Blade II? Hell yes. The Chronicles off Riddick? Wha?