- We got our first look at The Smurfs take Manhattan earlier today, but what is confirmation without Neil Patrick Harris these days? The NPH properly introduces the first teaser of the Smurfs movie right here: (and btw, Pee-Wee Herman acknowledged involvement in his Cinematical retweet).
- For a minute, Harry Potter director David Yates was rumored to be attached to the Hobbit movies, but as it's clear Warner Bros. and MGM really just want Peter Jackson to return to the franchise, Yates is now rumored to be set to helm an adaptation of Bill Williingham's Vertigo comic Fables, about mythological creatures living in New York City.
- I know this is a movie blog, but a lot of these books, for which new t-shirts have been made, have been adapted into movies. Who's going to buy me an early Christmas present? I'm a huge Vonnegut fan, by the way.
- This week I finally caught up with the first season of East Bound and Down. Why didn't anyone tell me it's as depressing as it is hilarious? In any event, EB&D star Danny McBride is set to play one of two of the titular Bullies for a comedy scripted by Andrew Mogel and Jarrad Paul for his Eastbound producers Jody Hill and David Gordon Green.
- Production Weekly reports (via PW messenger The Playlist) that Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, James McAvoy, Ian McKellen and Natalie Portman have been offered roles in Run, Lola Run director Tom Tykwer's adaptation of Cloud Atlas. Unlike most people in the know, I'm unfamiliar with the book and how it relates to so many X-Men representatives.
- As we look forward to Pixar's latest, Toy Story 3, this weekend, let us take a look [via /Film] at the following French, student-produced short -- titled Above Then Beyond -- and ponder if it was indeed an uncredited inspiration for the animation studio's Oscar-winning Up (I'm sure it was a coincidence):