Today on indieWIRE, director Mike Cahill spoke about his debut 'Another Earth,' William Shatner sounded off on Comic-Con, and more!
- The Sundance Institute will hold a one-day symposium on short comedy filmmaking on Aug. 6 in Los Angeles, with a handful of programs, including talks moderated by director Michael Arteta and the team behind 'Funny or Die.' Click here for more.
- In honor of our 15th anniversary, we've been taking another look at some major stories from our archives, and today we went back to 1998, when October Films dropped the now-classic indie film 'Happiness' from its roster after funding the project from Day 1. Anthony Kaufman's original story is reprinted here.
- Samuel L. Jackson's popular anime series 'Afro Samurai' will soon become a live-action feature, thanks to Indomina Group. There is no word yet on just how badass the production will be, but you can read the full press release here.
- The original Captain Kirk spoke with indieWIRE's Eric Kohn about 'Star Trek,' online streaming, and his new film here.
- While 'Martha Marcy May Marlene' has been generating buzz for Elizabeth Olsen since its Sundance premiere, her other starring vehicle, 'Silent House,' has been a little more under the radar. Luckily, the horror film, which is made up of a single feature-length shot, has been picked up for U.S. distribution by Open Road Films and Liddell Entertainment. For the full press release, click here.
- We were thrilled to have Jonathan Caouette at 92Y Tribeca for a screening of his 2004 film 'Tarnation' in honor of indieWIRE's 15th anniversary. After the screening, he spoke about his latest films and what we can expect from him in the future. Hint: It won't be a documentary. Click here for more.
- Our Critic's Consensus pick for this weekend, 'Another Earth,' is the much-discussed story of, well, another earth, and though actor/co-writer Brit Marling is getting plenty of deserved attention, the film's director, Mike Cahill, has more than earned some recognition. Check out our Futures interview with him here.
categories 'fone Finds