Today on indieWIRE, 'The Descendants' earned itself a spot on the New York Film Festival's lineup, Anna Hathaway showed off her rapping skills, and much more.
- San Sebastian Festival Adds International Titles to New Directors Section: The world premiere of Kim Ki-duk's 'Amen,' along with Oren Moverman's 'Rampart,' round out the 59th San Sebastian Film Festival's competition section in additions made Wednesday. Also joining the festival's Zabaltegi-Pearls section are titles from Steve McQueen, Johnnie To and Nicolas Provost.
- Anne Hathaway: A Shockingly Adequate Rapper: Don't worry, she still retains adorability and even a dose of her Oscar-hosting cheekiness. In response to being hounded by the paparazzi after the announcement of her prowling role in 'The Dark Knight Rises,' the 'Love and Other Drugs' and 'One Day' star rapped about her relationship with the camera-toting set on 'Conan' Tuesday night.
- REVIEW | Anne Hathaway's Fake Accent Isn't the Only Thing Wrong With 'One Day': Anne Hathaway's faux British accent might be the first obvious conceit in 'One Day,' but not its most cumbersome. That distinction belongs to the eponymous structure, a claustrophobic device that follows a pair of best friends over the course of a 22-year period, but only on many versions of July 15.
- What You Are About to Read Is True: We Interview the Anonymous Creator of 'Story Notes From Hell': 'Story Notes From Hell' sounds like it could be any struggling screenwriter's snarky and solipsistic blog, but it's something much better. It's a collection of real-life excerpts and dialogue collected by an anonymous screenwriter. And it's an addictive delight.
- Alexander Payne's 'Descendants' to Close 49th New York Film Festival; Main Slate Unveiled: Alexander Payne's 'The Descendants' will close the 49th edition of the New York Film Festival, taking place Sept. 30-Oct. 16, the Film Society of Lincoln Center, which organizes the annual event, said Wednesday.
- Carl Colby's Doc About His CIA Spy Father Gets Picked Up by First Run: The new film from Carl Colby, whose credits include 'Legends in Light,''Voyager: The Grand Tour' and 'Ground Zero,' will have his next film, a documentary about his CIA spy father, released in New York at the Lincoln Plaza Cinema courtesy of First Run Features.
- New Look at Matt Damon & Scarlett Johansson In Cameron Crowe's 'We Bought a Zoo': So, both Venice and TIFF have unveiled their slates and ... Cameron Crowe's 'We Bought a Zoo' is nowhere to be seen.
- Viola Davis Goes Big Time: Viola Davis, fresh off her great and potential Oscar-nominated performance in 'The Help,' is taking her "klout" score to the bank as she should.
- REVIEW | Why 'Amigo' is a Blueprint for the Work of John Sayles: From the structure of his screenplays to the fluidity of his working-class themes, the cinema of John Sayles is always clean. Unfortunately, that assessment doesn't always apply to the quality of his work.
categories 'fone Finds