Today on indieWIRE, Anderson Cooper lost his cool, Andrea Riseborough dished on working with the Material Girl, Fantastic Fest announced some news, and much more.
- iW's Online Video of the Day: Gerard Depardieu Causes Anderson Cooper to Lose It On Air: Thank you Gérard! Yesterday, we at indieWIRE got our best chuckle of the week when news hit that French actor Gérard Depardieu had peed in the aisle of a packed plane.
- 'Peace, Love & Misunderstanding' to Open 12th Woodstock Film Festival & Other Highlights: Unveiling what it calls a "sneak peak" Thursday, the Woodstock Film Festival announced some highlights of its upcoming event that takes place in the scenic Catskills in upstate New York, Sept. 21-25.
- Indie Spirit Awards Call for Entries Begins Today: It's that time of year again: As summer starts to wind down, awards season revs up. Film Independent is getting a head start today, beginning its call for entries for the Independent Spirit Awards, now in its 27th year.
- How Little Documentary 'Quantum Hoops' Became a Big Ben Stiller Comedy: How does a tiny documentary become a hot Ben Stiller comedy? 'Quantum Hoops' was Rick Greenwald's 2007 documentary that followed the CalTech basketball team in their quest to gain a win after 21 seasons of losses.
- FUTURES: Andrea Riseborough Talks Madonna, RADA and 'Brighton Rock': Andrea Riseborough might be a familiar face for some. The English full-lipped beauty turned heads for her brassy turn in last year's 'Made in Dagenham,' had a small part in Mike Leigh's 'Happy-Go-Lucky' and garnered a bevvy of acclaim for her BAFTA TV Award nominated turn as the title character in the TV film 'Margaret Thatcher: The Long Walk to Finchley.'
- Critical Consensus: 'Last Circus' Tops Weak Week on criticWIRE: Spanish director Álex de la Iglesia's 'The Last Circus' hits theaters this weekend via Magnolia Pictures, and it's the pick of the week, according to the folks polled on criticWIRE.
- Morgan Spurlock, Nick Broomfield and Ted Hope on Tap for TIFF's Industry Programs: Nick Broomfield, Morgan Spurlock, Ted Hope, Relativity Media CEO Ryan Kavanaugh and Canadian filmmaker Bruce McDonald are among the names taking part in this year's industry programs at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival, it was announced today. The TIFF Industry programs provide sessions with industry professionals and some of the festival's filmmakers to provide networking opportunities for filmmakers.
- Watch: Nicole Kidman Cashes a Paycheck in Trailer for 'Trespass': Nicole Kidman must have really enjoyed her time spent hamming it up on the set of 'Batman Forever.'
- Watch: Wrenching Trailer for Sundance AIDS Doc 'We Were Here': 'We Were Here,' the deeply affecting documentary that takes a look back at the birth of the AIDS epidemic in San Francisco, garnered buzz following its world premiere at Sundance and has since gone on to play at a slew of festivals, including Berlin, Outfest and NewFest.
- How You Can Help the U.K. Distributors Who Saw Their Business Decimated by the London Riots: The London riots have ended, but the chaos has only begun for the country's independent film distributors. That's where The Other Cinema has stepped in.
- San Sebastian Fills Out Its Lineup With the Latin American Sidebar: The upcoming San Sebastian International Film Festival has added 13 films to its official lineup with the Horizontes Latinos sidebar, including two Cannes' Un Certain Regard players, Gerardo Naranjo's 'Miss Bala' and Chilean Christian Jimenez's 'Bonsai.'
- Ridley Scott: From 'Alien' Reboot 'Prometheus' to 'Blade Runner' Sequel: The highlight of Comic-Con, bar none, was Ridley Scott's 'Prometheus' footage. While Fox and Scott are downplaying the sci-fi space thriller's relationship to the original 'Alien' and the kick-ass James Cameron sequel 'Aliens,' there's no question this movie is grown from the same DNA; Scott admits it.
categories 'fone Finds