As the sun slowly rose over the Hollywood Sign, Tinseltown awakened to a flurry of deals that were brewing Wednesday night. Among them: Rosamund Pike teaming with Tom Cruise on the thriller 'One Shot,' Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu directing the 19th century revenge saga 'The Revenant,' 'White Collar's' Matt Bomer joining the male strippers of 'Magic Mike,' and much more. Read on.
Warner Bros. has tapped Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, the master of dark dramas ('Biutiful' and 'Babel') to direct 'The Revenant,' a revenge story set in the 1800s about a fur trapper mauled by a bear and left to die by two men hired to make his last days comfortable. The trapper survives the wound and the cold, and takes off after the men to wreck his revenge. The film will be adapted from the Michael Punke novel. Akiva Goldsman is producing through his Weed Road Pictures. [TheWrap]
Tough-guy-with-a-heart-of-gold Danny Trejo and M.C. Gainey have joined the cast of the Syfy supernatural thriller 'Haunted High,' about a New England private school that is visited by a demonic dead headmaster. Also in the cast are Charisma Carpenter, Marc Donato and newcomer Jonathan Baron. Gainey will play the headmaster while Trejo will play a janitor who is actually the school's secret guardian. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- Rosamund Pike is in talks with Paramount to star opposite Tom Cruise in 'One Shot,' the big-screen adaptation of the bestselling Lee Child novel series about former military policeman-turned-drifter Jack Reacher who travels around the country, using his strength and smarts as an ex-army cop to help underdogs. Cruise will play Reacher, who comes to the aid of an ex-infantry specialist accused of gunning down five office workers. Pike will play Helen Rodin, a local defense attorney who works with Reacher to bring the true culprits to justice. Christopher McQuarrie ('The Usual Suspects,' 'Valkyrie,' 'The Tourist') will direct from a script he's developing for the film. [Deadline]
- Matt Bomer, the star of USA's 'White Collar,' has joined the shirtless cast of Steven Soderbergh's 'Magic Mike,' a story about a male stripper who befriends a young dancer and shows him how to hustle -- both on stage and off. The film is based on Channing Tatum's pre-acting life as an exotic dancer. The cast already includes Tatum and Alex Pettyfer; Matthew McConaughey signed up Tuesday. Bomer next appears in Andrew Niccol's sci-fi thriller 'In Time,' which opens Oct. 28. [THR]
- ''There's a sucker born every minute.''; Commercials director Michael Gracey has been tapped by Fox to helm the musical 'The Greatest Showman on Earth,' starring Hugh Jackman as P.T. Barnum. The biopic will focus on Barnum's creation of the three-ring circus and his infatuation with opera singer Jenny Lind, called the Swedish Nightingale. No other castings have been announced. [Variety]
- Seth Greenwill take a pivotal role in the indie 'The Story of Luke,' the tale of a young, autistic man (Lou Taylor Pucci) who is searching for a job and a woman. Green will play Zach, who coaches Luke in his journey. 'True Blood' actress Kristin Bauer and Cary Elwes co-star. Filming on 'Luke,' which is being directed by Alonso Mayo, begins this month in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario. [THR]
- Alexander Payne's first film since the Oscar winner 'Sideways,' the comedy 'The Descendants,' will serve as the closing-night attraction at the New York Film Festival, the Film Society of Lincoln Center announced on Wednesday. The film features George Clooney as a married man who tries to re-connect with his two daughters after his wife -- who was having an affair with a real estate broker -- is severely injured in a boating accident.
Ralph Fiennes is going from evil to evil. After almost destroying the world (so to speak) in the last 'Harry Potter' episodes, he now has turned to destroying his own city in his modern-day adaptation of William Shakespeare's 'Coriolanus,' which he directs and stars in opposite Gerard Butler. Check out the very cool one-sheet, which has Fiennes facing off against Butler in very unusual war paint. Then check out the trailer here. 'Coriolanus' arrives in time for Academy Award consideration on Dec. 2. Brian Cox, Vanessa Redgrave, Jessica Chastain, James Nesbitt, Ashraf Barhom and Dragan Micanovic co-star. [CinemaBlend]
- Adam Scott will star in the indie comedy 'A.C.O.D.' [full story]
- Dakota Fanning and Emma Thompson have been cast in 'Ellie' [full story]
- There's a new trailer and poster for 'Red Tails' [full story]
- Check out the 'Page Eight' teaser trailer [full story]
But wait, there's more: