Ten years ago, you probably didn't even know his name. Today, Kevin Hart is one of the biggest comedians in the world.
Since breaking out with comedy tours like "I'm a Grown Little Man" and "Laugh at My Pain," Hart has also been lighting up the big screen. After stealing every scene as Cedric in "Think Like a Man" (2012), Hart stars alongside Ice Cube in the action-comedy "Ride Along," out this Friday.
Whether or not you've had a chance to see Hart, there's still much to know about the breakout comic. From his early struggles in the business to his biggest influences, here are 15 things you probably don't know about Kevin Hart.
1. The comedian was born in North Philadelphia and raised by his mother, Nancy. He has one older brother, Robert Hart.
2. Hart worked as a shoe salesman once out of school but quit to pursue a career in comedy full time.
3. Hart performed his first gig under the name Lil Kev. It didn't go well, and Hart struggled to find his own unique style. Needless to say, he found his touch.
4. Hart has two children with ex-wife Torrie Hart (m. 2003-2011). Their children's names are Heaven Leigh Hart and Hendrix Hart.
5. Hart's 2011 comedy tour, "Laugh at My Pain," grossed over $15 million and became one of the year's top-selling comedy acts.
6. Hart often jokes about his height. The comedian is 5 feet 4 inches.
7. When Hart was growing up, his father, Henry, struggled with cocaine addiction and was in and out of prison. His father has since recovered from his addiction and their relationship has improved.
8. The comedian was named MVP of the NBA Celebrity All-Star Game in 2012. He scored eight points, had six assists, and was ejected in the fourth quarter for cursing at the referee and throwing his shoe (all in good fun). In 2013, Hart repeated as the MVP.
9. Hart points to Bill Cosby, Chris Rock, and Richard Pryor as his main comedic influences.
10. Judd Apatow gave Hart his first break in the short-lived sitcom "Undeclared" (2001).
11. Hart claims his first concert was "Sesame Street on Ice." Now that's funny!
12. Hart is currently dating Eniko Parrish, a model/actress from Baltimore, Maryland.
13. Hart admits he didn't have a backup plan if he didn't succeed in comedy and jokes he would be homeless if his career didn't work out.
14. Don't chew loudly around the comic! Hart says it absolutely drives him crazy to hear someone chew.
15.Hart claims to have had a piece of chicken thrown at him during one of his early stand-up shows.
[Sources: Wikipedia, IMDb, vh1]