In "300: Rise of an Empire," Greek hero Themistocles works to rally his countrymen against the invading Persian forces led by mortal-turned-god Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro) and his vengeful commander, Artemisia (Eva Green). While Zack Snyder's original movie centered on Sparta's fight, the new "300" (directed by Noam Murro) examines the rest of Greece's preparation against the Persians -- and its subsequent rally in the wake of the Spartan bloodbath. Lena Headey returns as the Spartan Queen and Sullivan Stapleton plays the new male lead.
Plucked from the 1960s animated "The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show," Mr. Peabody and his adopted human sidekick, Sherman, embark on a time-traveling adventure to fix a rift they accidentally created. Directed by Rob Minkoff, the animated film stars Ty Burrell and Max Charles as the voices of Mr. Peabody and Sherman, respectively.
"The Grand Budapest Hotel" is the latest ensemble comedy from indie filmmaker Wes Anderson. Set in post-WWI Europe, the movie follows the adventures of a hotel concierge and his trusted lobby boy (Tony Revolori) who find themselves at the center of a murder investigation. The film stars Ralph Fiennes, Jude Law, Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Saoirse Ronan, Harvey Keitel, and many more big names in supporting roles.
Also in theaters this weekend:
- "Jodorowsky's Dune" tells the story of cult film director Alejandro Jodorowsky's highly ambitious (but doomed) film adaptation of the seminal sci-fi novel that subsequently inspired other acclaimed sci-fi filmmakers.
- In "Grand Piano," a stage-frightened pianist making his comeback performance must overcome a possible threat to his life while forced to continue playing on stage.
- Horror film "In Fear" follows a young couple who are pursued by a dangerous stranger, only to find themselves journeying further down the darkened, unfamiliar roads.
- Chinese film "Journey to the West" centers on Tang Sanzang, a Buddhist trying to protect a village from three demons, and his encounters with a demon hunter and the Monkey King.
- "Awful Nice" is a comedy that follows two estranged brothers forced together to fix-up and sell their family's vacation home in the aftermath of their father's death.
categories Weekend Movie Preview