Plot & Details
Based on John Grisham's semi-autobiographical novel (which he regarded as his favorite because it "contains no lawyers"), A Painted House is set in the rural community of Oak Park, AR, in 1952. The story is told through the eyes of ten-year-old Luke Chandler (Logan Lerman), who lives and works on a rundown cotton farm with his parents (Robert Sean Leonard and Arija Bareikis) and grandparents (Scott Glenn and Melinda Dillon). It is Luke's personal mission to earn enough money picking cotton to be able to afford a new coat of paint for the Chandler house. But as harvest time approaches, a number of plot complications distance Luke from his goal, including failed crops, dangerous weather, periodic run-ins with a family of migrant workers, and -- this being a John Grisham story -- a murder to which Luke is the sole eyewitness. Filmed on location in the Arkansas town of Lepanto, A Painted House first aired April 27, 2003, as a CBS Hallmark Hall of Fame presentation.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 98min.
- DVD Release Date: 10/21/2003
- Director(s): Alfonso Arau
- Starring: Logan Lerman , Scott Glenn , Robert Sean Leonard , Arija Bareikis , Melinda Dillon
- Themes: Small-Town Life
- Tone: Gentle,Heartwarming,Poignant,Reflective,Sentimental,Sweet
- Keywords: cotton, family, farmer, migrant-worker, murder, rurality, small-town, struggle
- Language: English