Plot & Details
A sort of mannered, British version of The Odd Couple (1970), this drama won four of the seven major BAFTA Awards for which it was nominated. Albert Finney stars as Reggie Cunningham-Jarvis, a former Royal Air Force squadron leader who is utterly debilitated by the death of his wife, allowing his estate to decay. At the suggestion of a social worker, Reggie is paired with Roy Southgate (Tom Courtenay), a retired milkman, orderly homebody, and fellow recent widower. Roy moves in and begins caring for Reggie's manor, and an unlikely friendship between the two men develops, although Reggie treats Roy more as a servant than a roommate. Their relationship becomes tested, however, with the arrival of Lizzie Franks (Joanna Lumley), a shop owner hoping to seduce Reggie for his riches.
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 104min.
- DVD Release Date: 04/07/2009
- Director(s): Paul Seed
- Starring: Albert Finney , Tom Courtenay , Joanna Lumley , John Light , Katie Carr
- Themes: Fathers and Sons,Starting Over,Unlikely Friendships,Death of a Partner
- Tone: Bittersweet,Humorous,Reflective,Warm,Wry
- Keywords: Royal-Air-Force, class-clash, mansion, milkman, widow/widower