Plot & Details
This comic children's fantasy from director Michael Ritchie stars Mara Wilson as eight-year-old New Yorker Anabel, who wishes that her father Oliver (Robert Pastorelli), a hansom cab driver in Central Park, would see his dream come true. In a thinly veiled jab at the overblown stage productions of Andrew Lloyd Weber, Oliver aspires to be cast in the lead role in a new big-budget musical based on A Tale of Two Cities. Anabel's wish is received by Murray (Martin Short), the very first male fairy godmother, a bumbler who predictably botches the spell fulfilling Anabel's wish, turning Oliver into a statue instead. In order to reverse the mistake, Murray needs help from his union, the North American Fairy Godmothers Association (NAFGA), which is holding a convention in Manhattan. Enter Claudia (Kathleen Turner), a scheming former fairy godmother turned witch, who steals the attendees' magic wands, intending to use their magic in a bid for power. A Simple Wish (1997) was one of four films representing the initial slate of The Bubble Factory, a movie production house assembled by the theater world's Sheinberg family. Their other films were The Pest (1997), McHale's Navy (1997), and For Richer or Poorer (1997).
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy,Family
- Run Time: 89min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/11/1997
- DVD Release Date: 07/24/2007
- Distributor(s): Universal City Studios
- Director(s): Michael Ritchie
- Starring: Martin Short , Mara Wilson , Robert Pastorelli , Amanda Plummer , Francis Capra
- Themes: Life in the Arts,Fathers and Daughters,Saintly Fools,Experiments Gone Awry
- Tone: Affectionate,Bright,Compassionate,Dreamlike,Irreverent,Merry,Satirical,Wry
- Keywords: actor,audition,fairy-godmother,klutz,magic,revenge,search,statue,widow/widower,wish,wish-fulfillment,witch
- Language: English