Plot & Details
Writer-director Martin Lawrence billed this comic drama as his own version of the film Fatal Attraction (1987). Lawrence stars as Darnell, a hopeless male chauvinist. Darnell is a crude-but-smooth talker and lady's man who doesn't take no for an answer. He works for a nightclub called Chocolate City and aspires to be its owner. He trades VIP privileges at the club for favors from women. Though he is an expert at conning women, he sometimes worries about what his childhood sweetheart Mia (Regina King), who is engaged to marry him, thinks of his adventures. When the classy, elegant Brandi (Lynn Whitfield) steps out of a limousine to enter the club, Darnell feels that he's met his ultimate prize. She rejects his come-ons, which only fuels his appetite. He pursues her, showing up with flowers at her real estate office. He finally wins over Brandi, but she becomes obsessed with him, even taking all four wheels off his sports car to ground him from his rounds. Cutting off his engagement to Mia is not enough to satisfy Brandi, who finally administers Darnell's punishment for his misogyny.
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 108min.
- DVD Release Date: 11/23/1999
- Distributor(s): Entertainment, New Line Cinema, Savoy Pictures
- Director(s): Martin Lawrence
- Starring: Martin Lawrence , Lynn Whitfield , Regina King , Bobby Brown , Della Reese
- Themes: Battle of the Sexes,Playing the Field
- Tone: Biting,Cynical,Irreverent,Wry
- Keywords: chauvinist,fiancee,misogyny,nightclub,obsession,stalking,womanizer
- Language: English