Plot & Details
Wayne Wang's intimate drama A Thousand Years of Good Prayers stars Henry O as Mr. Shi, a Chinese man who, after the death of his wife, decides to travel to the United States in order to see his estranged daughter for the first time in over a decade. Their time together is awkward at first, seeing each other only at dinner when he cooks for her. Shi spends his days taking in the strange culture, improving his language skills, and making a friend in an Iranian woman. Eventually his persistent attempts to forge a connection with his daughter lead to some buried issues bursting forth between the pair.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama,Romance
- Run Time: 83min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/19/2008
- DVD Release Date: 05/26/2009
- Distributor(s): Magnolia
- Director(s): Wayne Wang
- Starring: Jiang Xi Ren , Faye Yue , Vida Ghahremani , Pasha D. Lychnikoff
- Themes: Fathers and Daughters
- Tone: Intimate,Poignant,Understated
- Keywords: daughter,estrangement,widow/widower,Iranian [nationality],cross-cultural-relations,relocation
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (09-19-2008)
- Language: English,Farsi,Mandarin