Plot & Details
The personal turning points of a family in crisis are portrayed against the backdrop of one of America's most tumultuous summers in this drama. In 1969, Pearl Kantrowitz (Diane Lane) is spending the summer at a resort in the Catskills. Married to TV repairman Marty (Liev Schreiber) and the mother of two children, respectably middle-class Pearl feels trapped by domestic life and inwardly lusts after a traveling salesman named Walker (Viggo Mortensen). When Marty is called back to the city one weekend, Pearl impulsively arranges to meet Walker at a music festival going on in nearby Bethel, New York -- The Woodstock Music and Art Fair. However, Pearl doesn't realize that her teenage daughter Alison (Anna Paquin) has secret plans of her own, and when mother and daughter meet in the midst of hippiedoms's most celebrated moment, both have a lot of explaining to do, to each other and to Marty. A Walk On The Moon was produced in part by Dustin Hoffman, and premiered at the 1999 Sundance Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 107min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/02/1999
- DVD Release Date: 10/12/1999
- Distributor(s): Miramax
- Director(s): Tony Goldwyn
- Starring: Diane Lane , Liev Schreiber , Anna Paquin , Viggo Mortensen , Tovah Feldshuh
- Themes: Mothers and Daughters,Crumbling Marriages,Family Vacations,Infidelity,Vacation Romances
- Tone: Wry,Nostalgic,Sexy,Reflective,Earnest,Bittersweet
- Keywords: daughter,extramarital-affair,family,festival,hippie,mother,rock-music
- Country of Origin: USA (03-26-1999)
- Language: English