Plot & Details
Love, betrayal, and murder take root in the deserts of China in this comedy drama from filmmaker Zhang Yimou. Wang (Ni Dahong) is an ill-tempered tyrant who runs a noodle shop not far from the Great Wall. Wang treats his employees like dirt and isn't much friendlier to his long-suffering wife (Yan Ni), who soothes her nerves by having an affair with Li (Xiao Shenyang), one of Wang's cooks. The wife would like to take Wang out of the picture, and one day she gives Li a gun, suggesting that he kill Wang so they can live in peace. A crooked cop named Zhang learns about the plot and tells Wang about the lovers, offering to kill them for a price. The next day, Zhang returns with evidence that Wang's wife and his cook have been shot, but shoots Wang before he can pay him. Zhang is about to empty out Wang's safe when he discovers he wasn't the only one with a plan to double-cross the despised noodle baron. Inspired by Joel and Ethan Coen's Blood Simple, San Qiang Pai An Jing Qi (aka A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop) was an official selection at the 2010 Berlin International Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 90min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/03/2010
- DVD Release Date: 02/01/2011
- Distributor(s): Sony Pictures Classics
- Director(s): Zhang Yimou
- Starring: Sun Hong-Lei , Xiao Shenyang , Yan Ni , Ni Dahong , Cheng Ye
- Themes: Infidelity,Treacherous Spouses,Hired Killers,Dishonor Among Thieves,Betrayal
- Tone: Humorous,Tense
- Keywords: husband-and-wife,murder
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (09-03-2010)
- Language: Mandarin