Actor Diego Luna stepped behind the camera to direct this warm drama about a young boy whose emotional problems take him in an unexpected direction. Abel is an unstable child whose issues have only gotten worse since his father walked out on the family. No one in the household is sure what to do for Abel or how they should behave around him, and a stay in a mental hospital does little to ground him. However, one day Abel wakes up and decides that he's the man of the house, and begins acting like his absent father rather than the youngest child. To the surprise of everyone, adult responsibilities agree with Abel, and the family seems significantly happier with his new personality. But this proves to be short-lived when Abel's real dad unexpectedly returns, and the two vie for the status of head of the household. Abel received its world premiere at the 2010 Sundance Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 85min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/04/2011
- DVD Release Date: 05/29/2012
- Distributor(s): Lionsgate
Jose Maria Yazpik
- Themes: Haunted By the Past,Fathers and Sons,Coming Home,Dysfunctional Families,Estrangement,Mental Illness
- Tone: Creepy,Humorous,Tense
emotional-problems, mental-institution, role-model, role-playing
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (zz-zz-2012)
- Language: Spanish