Plot & Details
If you believe all-American Fred MacMurray as an Oxford don, you'll probably swallow the rest of Above Suspicion. Newly married to Joan Crawford, MacMurray goes on a honeymoon in prewar Germany. Actually it's more business than pleasure: they are secret agents for the British, attempting to smuggle back information about a new superweapon being developed by the Nazis. Evil, mean, cruel and also wicked German officer Basil Rathbone imprisons and tortures Crawford (though she still looks like a million bucks), but McMurray comes to the rescue, paving the way for a suspenseful race-to-the-border climax. The tenor of Above Suspicion can be summed up in a scene in which, after being confronted by a monolingual stormtrooper, Fred MacMurray says in English "Nuts to you, dope!," whereupon the Nazi scratches his head and wonders aloud, "Vass iss das 'dope'?"
- Genre(s): Crime and Mystery,Drama,Thriller
- Run Time: 91min.
- Distributor(s): MGM
- Director(s): Richard Thorpe
- Starring: Joan Crawford , Fred MacMurray , Conrad Veidt , Basil Rathbone , Reginald Owen
- Themes: Americans Abroad,Conspiracies,Double Life,Traitorous Spies/Double Agents
- Tone: Atmospheric,Claustrophobic,Deliberate,Menacing,Ominous,Paranoid,Witty
- Keywords: danger,escape,espionage,honeymoon,imprisonment,missing-person,newlywed,rescue,war