Plot & Details
Overnight sensation Jim Carrey reprises his role as the eccentric detective in this follow-up to the runaway blockbuster Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. The sequel finds Ace on assignment in Africa to prevent a tribal war by saving a white bat sacred to both sides. Along the way, he nearly sleeps with a seductive African princess before her wedding, experiences astral projection with an enlightened monkey, masturbates, collects bat dung and, last but not least, is birthed by a mechanical rhino (much to the horror of an American tourist family). Often short on taste, the film is nonetheless full of good spirit and plenty of genuine belly laughs -- particularly during the fight scene with a diminutive tribal champion (Tommy Davidson, who demonstrates a gift for physical comedy equal to Carrey's). Not for every taste, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls is either hilarious or insufferable, depending on the viewer's opinion of Carrey's unique brand of slapstick and sight gags. Please note: the opening sequence may be upsetting to younger viewers.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 92min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/10/1995
- DVD Release Date: 10/29/1997
- Director(s): Steve Oedekerk
- Starring: Jim Carrey , Ian McNeice , Simon Callow , Maynard Eziashi , Bob Gunton
- Themes: Culture Clash,Americans Abroad,Private Eyes
- Tone: Goofy,Madcap,Raunchy,Rowdy
- Keywords: Africa, animal, bat [animal], private-detective, rhinoceros, tribe
- Country of Origin: USA (11-10-1995)
- Language: English