Plot & Details
Ingrid Bergman stars in Adam Had Four Sons, her second American film appearance. Based on a novel by Charles Bonner, the story begins in the early twentieth century, when French governess Emilie Gallatin (Bergman) is hired to care for the four growing sons of wealthy Adam Stoddard (Warner Baxter). The sudden death of Stoddard's wife Molly (Fay Wray) and the loss of his fortune compels Emilie to reluctantly give up her position and head home. Ten years later, Stoddard, having recovered financially, again sends for Emilie, even though his sons have all grown and are about to march off to WW1. Secretly in love with Stoddard, Emilie nonetheless keeps her place, until the libertine behavior of Stoddard's scheming sister-in-law Hester (Susan Hayward) forces Emilie to take drastic action.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 80min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/27/2009
- DVD Release Date: 01/06/2004
- Distributor(s): Columbia Pictures
- Director(s): Gregory Ratoff
- Starring: Ingrid Bergman , Warner Baxter , Susan Hayward , Fay Wray , Richard Denning
- Themes: Single Parents,Down on Their Luck,Fathers and Sons,Workplace Romance
- Tone: Reflective,Bittersweet,Sentimental,Wistful,Confrontational,Tense
- Keywords: brother, governess, hatred, jealousy, love, marriage, death-in-family, family
- Language: English