Plot & Details
Adapted from an Ernest Hemingway story by Hemingway's longtime friend and associate A. E. Hotchner, After the Storm spent years in development before filming of the movie version began in 2000, several years after Hotchner's death. Set in the Bahamas in 1936, the story concerns a young fisherman on the lam from gangsters, who stumbles upon a fortune in jewels from a yacht sunk in a recent storm. This sudden windfall results in nothing but unhappiness and betrayal for the fisherman -- and for everyone else who embarks upon the treasure hunt that consumes most of the action. When After the Storm failed to secure a theatrical release, it was licensed to the USA network for its first American TV showing. The R-rated video version was released on May 29, 2001.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 99min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/28/2000
- DVD Release Date: 05/29/2001
- Director(s): Guy Ferland
- Starring: Benjamin Bratt , Armand Assante , Mili Avital , Stephen Lang
- Themes: Criminal's Revenge,Dishonor Among Thieves,Treasure Hunts
- Tone: Gritty,Moody,Ominous,Tense
- Keywords: Bahamas, fisherman, fortune [wealth], gangster, shipwreck, windfall [monetary], yacht
- Language: English