Plot & Details
One of the most influential examples of anime, Akira is based on the manga (comic book) by Katsuhiro Otomo. The story is set in the post-apocalyptic community of Neo-Tokyo. Tetsuo is a fiercely individualistic member of a scroungy motorcycle gang. The despotic authorities, the robot-like police, and even the cycle gang pursue Tetsuo when he's bombarded with a new, insidious energy source that has rendered him telekinetic. Budgeted at eight million dollars, Akira has become a cult favorite in the States thanks to generous midnight-movie exposure and its availibilty on video and cable TV.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Science Fiction
- Run Time: 124min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/19/1990
- DVD Release Date: 07/24/2001
- Director(s): Katsuhiro Otomo
- Starring: Mitsuo Iwara , Cameron Clarke , Nozomu Sasaki , Jan Rabson , Lara Cody
- Themes: Future Dystopias,Psychic Abilities,Experiments Gone Awry,Post-Apocalypse
- Tone: Stylized,Atmospheric,Hallucinatory
- Keywords: biker, repression, terrorism, cyberpunk, experiment, motorcycle-gang, post-nuclear-holocaust, power-struggle, revolution, telekinesis, uprising
- Language: Japanese