Plot & Details
Originally produced for the BBC and broadcast in the U.S. as part of the PBS series Masterpiece Theatre, this drama tells the story of the Sandringham Company, one of the most unusual teams of fighting men to march on the battlefields of World War I; under the leadership of Captain Frank Beck, the Sandringhams were made up entirely of servants and custodians from the Norfolk estate of King George V. Hoping to serve their king in a time of need, they volunteered for military service and were sent into battle against Turkish forces in 1915's infamous Battle of Gallipoli, during which they disappeared and were never seen again. David Jason plays Capt. Beck, David Troughton portrays George V, and Maggie Smith appears as Queen Alexandra, an ardent supporter of the Sandringham battalion.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Drama,War
- Run Time: 120min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/06/1998
- DVD Release Date: 11/01/2005
- Director(s): Julian Jarrold
- Starring: David Jason , Patrick Malahide , Maggie Smith , Ian McDiarmid , David Troughton
- Themes: Military Life,Great Battles
- Tone: Bittersweet,Elegiac,Poignant,Reflective,Stirring
- Keywords: British, army, battle [war], battlefield, captain [military], ill-fated, world-war
- Language: English