Plot & Details
Gary Cooper added "producer" alongside "star" on his resume with this light-hearted Western about a mild-mannered cowboy (Cooper) who drifts into a small town with his sidekick (William Demarest). Naturally, he's mistaken for a notorious highway robber (Dan Duryea), although he can barely handle a gun. His impersonation of the menacing gunman falls apart when his skills are put to the test, and he faces certain doom when challenged by the returning gunman himself. In the end, however, our hero defeats the villain and even ends up with his girl (Loretta Young). A send-up of both Western clichés and Cooper's own heroic persona, Along Came Jones is brisk, amusing entertainment.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Comedy,Westerns
- Run Time: 93min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/10/2001
- DVD Release Date: 09/04/2001
- Distributor(s): RKO Radio Pictures
- Director(s): Stuart Heisler
- Starring: Gary Cooper , Loretta Young , William Demarest , Dan Duryea , Frank Sully
- Themes: Nothing Goes Right,Unlikely Heroes,Mistaken Identities
- Tone: Light,Silly,Bright,Humorous,Satirical
- Keywords: courage, false-accusation, rescue, romance, sharpshooter, danger, mistaken-identity, on-the-run, photography
- Language: English