Plot & Details
David Mamet's play about three losers planning a robbery is brought to the screen in an admirably simple, straightforward manner. Don (Dennis Franz) is the owner of an "antique store" (read: junk shop) who discovers that the buffalo head nickel he recently sold to a coin collector was a lot more valuable than he imagined. Don hatches a scheme in which he and Bobby (Sean Nelson), a teenage kid who works at the shop, will steal the nickel back and sell it for a much higher price. Teach (Dustin Hoffman), Don's down-on-his-luck buddy, insists on coming in on the job, but Don isn't sure he wants Teach's help -- or that the robbery is a good idea at all. While director Michael Corrente occasionally moves the action out of the shop (unlike the original play), American Buffalo maintains nearly all the dialogue of the original play and its three-man cast.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama,Comedy
- Run Time: 88min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/13/1996
- DVD Release Date: 01/23/2001
- Director(s): Michael Corrente
- Starring: Dustin Hoffman , Dennis Franz , Sean Nelson
- Themes: Cons and Scams,Down on Their Luck
- Tone: Bleak,Gritty,Claustrophobic,Stylized,Talky
- Keywords: coin, customer, owner, robbery, shop
- Language: English