An octogenarian couple find their love put to the ultimate test when one of them suffers a stroke, and the other must assume the role of the caretaker in this compassionate yet unsentimental drama from director Michael Haneke. Georges (Jean-Louis Trintignant) and Anne (Emmanuelle Riva) are retired classical-music teachers savoring their golden years in a comfortable apartment when Anne experiences a stroke that leaves her partially paralyzed. As devoted Georges struggles with the formidable task of becoming Anne's full-time caretaker, a visit from their adult daughter Eva (Isabelle Huppert) reaffirms just how secluded from society the highly educated couple have become since retiring.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama,Foreign
- Run Time: 130min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 12/19/2012
- Distributor(s): Sony Pictures Classics
- Themes: Living With Disability,Starting Over
- Tone: Poignant,Sentimental
- Keywords: caretaker [custodian],paralysis,stroke [medical]
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (12-19-2012)
- Language: French