Plot & Details
In Peter Yates' crime drama An Innocent Man, Tom Selleck plays Jimmie Rainwood, a stock figure airline maintenance supervisor with a perfect family. Then, one day, Jimmie decides to take a shower. While scrubbing himself clean, two crooked cops are getting themselves dirtier. Mike Parnell (David Rasche) and Danny Scalise (Richard Young) are the kind of bad cops who bust the drug dealers, steal their supply, and sell it back to the local drug lords. On this day, unfortunately for Jimmie, they get the wrong address and bash down his door. When Jimmie comes out of the bathroom wielding his hair dryer, Parnell and Scalise think it is a gun and shoot him. Realizing their mistake, they cover themselves and frame him as a drug dealer. Jimmie refuses to take a plea and he is sentenced to six years in the slammer. In the brutal prison environment, he is taken aside by long-timer Virgil Kane (F. Murray Abraham), who gives him a bleak collection of options to chose from in order to survive prison. After seeing a prison gang rape, Jimmie chooses the kill-or-be-killed selection and stabs to death the nasty black convict who has been bothering him. After three years, Jimmie is released on parole, and he tries to pick up his life again. But Parnell and Scalise return to threaten Jimmie and his family. Realizing that his prison lessons must be carried over into civilian life, he sets up a situation in which the bad cops' drug dealings are revealed, and Jimmie prepares for a final reckoning between the cops and himself.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 113min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/06/1989
- DVD Release Date: 04/08/2003
- Distributor(s): Buena Vista
- Director(s): Peter Yates
- Starring: Tom Selleck , F. Murray Abraham , Laila Robins , David Rasche , Richard Young
- Themes: Police Corruption,Prison Life,Miscarriage of Justice
- Tone: Claustrophobic,Confrontational,Harsh,Tense
- Keywords: drug-dealer, false-accusation, frame-up, mechanic, imprisonment, prison, revenge
- Country of Origin: USA (10-06-1989)
- Language: English