Plot & Details
The debutante whom Andy Hardy (Mickey Rooney) meets-after falling in love with her photograph -- is blonde Diana Lewis (the real-life wife of William Powell). It all comes about when Andy accompanies his dad Judge Hardy (Lewis Stone) to New York. Plunging into the Manhattan social whirl, Andy is introduced to the wealthy Diana by his hometown chum Betsy Booth (Judy Garland), who finds time to sing "I'm Nobody's Baby" and "Alone". Meanwhile, Andy's steady Polly Benedict (Ann Rutherford) sits home and fumes. It takes a few personal disillusionments and public embarrassment for Andy to realize that his true heart's desire is back in his own back yard (Judy Garland could have told him as much; after all, she previously said those lines in Wizard of Oz). Andy Hardy Meets Debutante was the ninth in MGM's "Hardy Family" series.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Comedy,Musicals,Romance
- Run Time: 89min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/01/2001
- Distributor(s): MGM/UA
- Director(s): George B. Seitz
- Starring: Mickey Rooney , Cecilia Parker , Fay Holden , Judy Garland
- Themes: Fish Out of Water,Social Climbing
- Tone: Humorous,Light,Sweet
- Keywords: debutante, humiliation, songwriter, adolescence, family, first-love, love, teenagers, unrequited, vacation
- Language: English