This family classic is adapted from the Broadway musical, which was based on the comic strip Little Orphan Annie. During the Great Depression in New York City, a plucky red-haired scrapper named Annie (Aileen Quinn) is the voice of hope for her fellow orphans who live under the supervision of drunken floozy Miss Hannigan (Carol Burnett). Annie's spirit is fueled by the belief that her real parents dropped her off at the orphanage with a half of a locket, promising to return for her with the other half. One day, the dingy orphanage is visited by the sophisticated Grace Farrell (Ann Reinking), personal secretary to conservative politician Oliver Warbucks (Albert Finney). In order to improve his image, Grace brings Annie to the Warbucks estate for a weeklong visit. Annie quickly wins the hearts of servants and politicians alike, eventually even bringing her song of hope, "Tomorrow," to President Roosevelt in Washington. Warbucks and Grace even go so far as to perform a public search for Annie's parents, creating an opportunity for Miss Hannigan, Rooster (Tim Curry), and Lily (Bernadette Peters) to scam their way to the reward money.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy,Family,Musicals
- Run Time: 127min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/18/1982
- DVD Release Date: 12/12/2000
- Distributor(s): Columbia Pictures
- Themes: Authority Figures [k],Adoption,Bodyguards,Orphans,Rags To Riches
- Tone: Bright,Heartwarming,Lavish,Sentimental,Wistful
- Keywords: President,billionaire,con/scam,deception,dog,orphan,secretary,servant,tycoon
- Language: English