Plot & Details
Oliver Stone takes on professional football, a sport whose grace and delicacy are a good match for his filmmaking style. Tony D'Amato (Al Pacino), the head coach of the Miami Sharks, won back-to-back championships four years ago. But new team owner Christina Pagniacci (Cameron Diaz) has little enthusiasm for the finer points of the game and is concerned only with the bottom line. The longtime strongman of Tony's team has been "Cap" Rooney (Dennis Quaid), a 39-year-old quarterback, but Christina balks at renewing his contract. When Cap is injured during a game, third-string rookie quarterback Willie Beaman (Jamie Foxx) goes on in his place and becomes a major star. But Beaman is mostly interested in fame and money, and he has little regard for Tony and his teammates. Any Given Sunday also stars James Woods as the team's doctor, LL Cool J as a star running back, Jim Brown as a former football great turned Sharks' defensive coordinator, Ann-Margret as Christina's alcoholic mother, Bill Bellamy as a wide receiver, Elizabeth Berkley as Tony's favorite prostitute, and Charlton Heston as the football commissioner.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Action
- Run Time: 162min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 12/22/1999
- DVD Release Date: 09/01/2000
- Distributor(s): Warner Bros.
- Director(s): Oliver Stone
- Starring: Al Pacino , Cameron Diaz , Dennis Quaid , James Woods , Jamie Foxx
- Themes: Underdogs,Redemption,All Washed Up,Coaches and Players,Football Players
- Tone: Angry,Confrontational,Forceful,Passionate,Rousing
- Keywords: NFL (National Football League),coach,ego,fame,football,football-star,football-team,quarterback,teamwork
- Country of Origin: USA (12-22-1999)
- Language: English