Michael Bay (The Rock) directed this science fiction action thriller in the When Worlds Collide tradition. After astronomy students discover a comet-asteroid collision, an asteroid fragment "the size of the Super Dome" threatens. It's destroyed by a secret USA defense in space, but a large chunk veers off toward Singapore. With another asteroid "the size of Texas" en route, a plan is devised to send oil drillers to land on the asteroid and drop a nuclear device down a 1000-foot shaft, a scheme calculated to crack the asteroid into two halves, saving Earth. NASA begins a crash program to train beer-besotted oil roughnecks for the mission. During a stopover to refuel at the Mir Station, the space station is accidentally destroyed, so a Russian cosmonaut also joins the team. Produced by Bay, Jerry Bruckheimer (Con Air), and Gale Anne Hurd (The Relic, The Abyss).
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Action,Horror
- Run Time: 151min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/01/1998
- DVD Release Date: 01/05/1999
- Distributor(s): Buena Vista
Billy Bob Thornton
- Themes: End of the World,Daring Rescues,Race Against Time,Hotshots,Space Travel,Heroic Mission
- Tone: Humorous,Tense,Ominous,Stylized,Flashy,Rousing,Slick
asteroid, astronaut, collision-course, earth, mission [quest], oil-rig
- Country of Origin: USA (07-01-1998)
- Language: English