Plot & Details
Hong Kong auteur Wong Kar-wai makes his feature film debut with this gritty romantic crime-drama inspired by Scorsese's Mean Streets. The film opens with young gangster Wah (Andy Lau) getting a visit for the day from his beautiful cousin Ah-Ngor (Maggie Cheung), who is coming into Kowloon from the remote outlying Lantau island to receive medical treatment for a lung condition. At first, the short-fused gangster and the quiet country girl have little in common, but gradually the two start to form a bond of sorts. Meanwhile, Wah's buddy Fly (Jacky Cheung), who has an absolutely volcanic temper, is always getting Wah into hot water. Even though Wah knows that Fly is bound to end up dead soon, he stands by his foolhardy friend. After some hesitation, Wah -- who has fallen for Ah-Ngor -- visits his cousin on Lantau, hoping to make their relationship more than family. Fly later infuriates a psychopathic mob boss, Tony (Alex Man Chi-leung who, along with his henchmen, beats and degrades Fly and Wah. This induces Fly make amends with Tony by undertaking the outrageously difficult task of rubbing out an informant who is in the custody of the cops, before the man has the opportunity to testify in a court hearing.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Crime and Mystery,Thriller
- Run Time: 102min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/31/1997
- DVD Release Date: 10/19/2004
- Director(s): Wong Kar-Wai
- Starring: Andy Lau , Jacky Cheung , Maggie Cheung
- Themes: Down on Their Luck,Unrequited Love,Dangerous Friends,Triad
- Tone: Compassionate,Harsh,Lyrical,Melancholy
- Keywords: cousin, extortion, friendship, gangster, loyalty, mob-boss, romance, suicide-mission
- Language: Cantonese