Directed by David Mackenzie, Asylum follows a 1950s family living in a home on the grounds of an asylum after Max (Hugh Bonneville), the patriarch, is assigned to serve as deputy director of a remote psychiatric hospital. Neither his wife, Stella (Natasha Richardson), nor his young son, Charlie (Augustus Jeremiah Lewis), are particularly happy about the arrangements, though Stella finds herself slowly becoming attracted to Edgar Stark (Marton Csokas), a charismatic inmate. Despite the obvious repercussions of an extramarital affair and the sage advice of Dr. Cleave (Ian McKellen), a colleague of her husband, Stella's slow-burning attraction becomes an all out obsession; before long, Stella is barely aware that she is risking her family, her sanity, and even her very life for Edgar. Asylum is based on a novel by Patrick McGrath.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 96min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/12/2005
- DVD Release Date: 01/17/2006
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Themes: Crumbling Marriages,Self-Destructive Romance,Infidelity,Mental Illness
- Tone: Atmospheric,Intimate,Moody,Passionate,Tense
asylum [mental hospital], attraction, extramarital-affair, inmate, obsession, sanity
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (08-12-2005)
- Language: English