Plot & Details
The 1995 Academy award-winning film Babe was Australian-made and featured the latest in talking animal anima-tronics. It told the heart-warming story of a sheepherding pig named Babe and his rise to community fame. The film was a tremendous hit, both financially and critically. Babe: Pig in the City is the higher budgeted American-made sequel that picks up where the original left off. It was directed by George Miller (Mad Max trilogy) who produced the original Babe film, and received a lot of criticism for being much darker than the original. The story owes more to George Orwell's Animal Farm or Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist than the original film. Having triumphed at the National Sheepdog trials, Babe returns home a hero. But after farmer Hoggett (James Cromwell) suffers from a farming accident, Mrs. Hoggett, a naive portly woman, is left to work the ranch alone. It's not long before the bank comes knocking. Desperate to save her farm from foreclosure, she accepts an offer for Babe to perform his sheepherding abilities at an overseas state fair. Babe, Mrs. Hoggett, Ferdinand the duck, and the singing mice travel across the ocean to a surreal metropolis, where they suddenly become stranded and separated. Soon Babe is performing with circus apes, being chased by wild strays (sounding a lot like Marlon Brando in The Godfather), and making a new wheelchair-bound canine friend (voiced by Adam Goldberg). He also is anointed leader of the animal community. What Babe lacks in street smarts he makes up for in honest goodness as he teaches audiences yet again that "an unprejudiced heart can mend a broken world."
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 95min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/06/2000
- DVD Release Date: 05/04/1999
- Distributor(s): Universal
- Director(s): George Miller
- Starring: Magda Szubanski , James Cromwell , Mary Stein , Mickey Rooney , Julie Godfrey
- Themes: Down on Their Luck,Fish Out of Water,Heroic Mission,Talking Animals,Stop the Wrecking Ball
- Tone: Gentle,Humorous,Quirky,Warm,Wistful,Fanciful,Stylized,Witty
- Keywords: accident,animal-rights,ape,bankruptcy,big-city,boarding-house,community,dog,farming,finances,foreclosure,hero,homestead,on-the-road,pig,stranded,talking-animal,urban-problems
- Country of Origin: USA (11-25-1998)
- Language: English