Plot & Details
This fun-filled spin-off of the Rodgers & Hart Broadway musical by the same name, features Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney as two young children of vaudevillian parents who aren't included in their parents travels, so they set out to produce a show of their own. Rooney's the driver here and he's up against the administrators of a fogy state-run trade school, who think the whole show idea is nonsense. A listening judge gives them 30 days to put on the show and prove they don't belong in the jail-like school. The rest of the action involves the highly talented kids successful efforts to not only stage the show, but to bring the whole troupe to Broadway.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Family,Musicals
- Run Time: 91min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/27/1996
- Director(s): Busby Berkeley
- Starring: Mickey Rooney , Judy Garland , Charles Winninger , Guy Kibbee , June Preisser
- Themes: Life in the Arts,Boarding School Life
- Tone: Humorous,Frantic,Stylized,Sweet,Warm
- Keywords: finances, poverty, stars [celebrities], vaudeville, behind-the-scenes
- Language: English
|Year||Award||Category||Cast & Crew||Result|
|1939||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences||Best Actor||Mickey Rooney||Nominated|
|1939||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences||Best Score||Roger Edens||Nominated|
|1939||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences||Best Score||George Stoll||Nominated|