Plot & Details
Advertised as a sort of sequel to MGM's Babes in Arms (1939), Babes on Broadway reunites the two stars of the earlier film: Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland. Rooney is the guiding force of a group of young showbiz hopefuls who are trying to make it on Broadway. When things look darkest, he goes into his "Say, kids!" routine, rousing his companions to put on their own show. Highlights include a sequence in which Rooney and Garland go through a series of imitations of past theatrical greats. As cute and perky as Garland is, she has nothing on the "Carmen Miranda" takeoff performed--in full makeup and platform shoes--by the ubiquitous Rooney. Babes on Broadway ends with a typically overproduced production number stage by the film's director, the immortal Busby Berkeley.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Family,Musicals
- Run Time: 118min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/03/2005
- Director(s): Busby Berkeley
- Starring: Mickey Rooney , Judy Garland , Richard Quine , Fay Bainter , Virginia Weidler
- Themes: Ladder to the Top,Actor's Life
- Tone: Bright,Earnest,Humorous,Light,Frantic,Sweet,Warm
- Keywords: Broadway, backstage, big-break, musical [play], show, show-business