Plot & Details
Balto is an animated trifle, based loosely on a true story from the 1920s, that may offer some amusement for young children. A live-action intro and outro set the stage for the story of Balto (voiced by Kevin Bacon), a stray who's half dog and half wolf, who is shunned as a half-breed outcast by both humans and his own kind. Balto does have some friends, like the goose Boris (Bob Hoskins) and two polar bears named Muk and Luk (Phil Collins), but he is particularly resented by canine pack leader Steele (Jim Cummings), with whom he is competing for the affections of Jenna (Bridget Fonda). He eventually becomes a hero when he guides a medication-carrying sled to a townful of sick kids in the wilds of Alaska. The film features a number of positive messages (subtlety is not its strong point), but it may not feature enough humor or excitement to keep anyone but the very smallest viewers engrossed.
- MPAA Rating: G
- Genre(s): Family
- Run Time: 77min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 12/22/1995
- DVD Release Date: 02/19/2002
- Director(s): Simon Wells
- Starring: Kevin Bacon , Bob Hoskins , Lola Bates-Campbell , Bridget Fonda , Jim Cummings
- Themes: Daring Rescues,Man's Best Friend,Lone Wolves,Heroic Mission
- Tone: Earnest,Heartwarming,Light,Rousing,Sentimental
- Keywords: alienation,animal,animal-rescue,courage,dog,friendship,rescue