Plot & Details
Beware of what goes "bump" (and "squeak" and "flap flap flap") in the night. Dr. Sheila Casper (Dina Meyer) is a respected zoologist dispatched by the government to Gallup, TX, a small community suffering from an unusual number of reported bat attacks. Casper finds this news puzzling, since bats are generally placid creatures who avoid contact with humans. The local sheriff, Emmett Kimsey (Lou Diamond Phillips), assures Casper that the reports are on the level and that something needs to be done about swarms of aggressive bats so thick they blot out the moon. Caspar and Kimsey discover that a new breed of genetically altered bats have escaped from a research facility and taken up residence in a cave near Gallup -- but the nocturnal bloodsuckers have no intention of leaving as quickly as they arrived. Bats was written by John Logan, who had two other projects hit the screen within a few months of Bats' release: Oliver Stone's Any Given Sunday and Ridley Scott's Gladiator. The supporting cast includes Leon and Bob Gunton.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Horror
- Run Time: 91min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/22/1999
- DVD Release Date: 02/22/2000
- Distributor(s): Destination
- Director(s): Louis Morneau
- Starring: Lou Diamond Phillips , Dina Meyer , Bob Gunton , Leon , Carlos Jacott
- Themes: When Animals Attack,Experiments Gone Awry
- Tone: Campy,Lurid,Menacing,Ominous,Biting
- Keywords: animal-attack,animal-behavior,bat [animal],bioengineering,cave,community,escape,genetic-engineering,investigation,man-vs-animal,research,sheriff,zoology
- Country of Origin: USA (10-22-1999)
- Language: English