Plot & Details
A longtime "dream" project of production designer-turned-director Eugene Lourie, The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms sees the titular beast unleashed on the world via nuclear testing. Making its way from the Arctic Circle, the monster-a carnivorous "rhedosaurus"-begins advancing towards New York. It stomps its way around Wall Street, pausing to have a policeman for lunch. By the time it has reached Coney Island, the rhedosaurus is more of a danger than ever because of the deadly bacteria it carries within its system. It's up to researcher Paul Christian and sharpshooter Lee Van Cleef to try to liquidate the beast with a grenade chock full of radioactive isotopes. Beast From 20,000 Fathoms represented effects artist Ray Harryhausen's first solo effort, after assisting Willis O'Brien on Mighty Joe Young (1949).
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Horror,Thriller
- Run Time: 80min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/23/2002
- DVD Release Date: 10/21/2003
- Distributor(s): New Line
- Director(s): Eugène Lourié
- Starring: Paul Christian , Paula Raymond , Cecil Kellaway , Kenneth Tobey , Donald Woods
- Themes: Experiments Gone Awry,Mad Scientists,Mutants,Terror in the Water
- Tone: Creepy,Eerie,Rousing
- Keywords: rampage, amusement-park, attack, big-city, demolition, destruction, dinosaurs, giant, monster, mutant, nuclear-testing, prehistoric, sea-monster