Plot & Details
The beauty-parlor craze of the early 1930s was given a good going-over in MGM's Beauty for Sale. Madge Evans, Florine McKinney and Una Merkel star as Letty, Jane and Carol, three employees of a swank Manhattan beauty salon. While Carol wisecracks her way through life, Letty takes things more seriously -- too seriously, in fact, when it comes to matters of the heart. She falls in love with wealthy Mr. Sherwood (Otto Kruger), who unfortunately is already married to Mrs. Sherwood (Alice Brady). Surprisingly, Letty is permitted a happy ending, which is more than can be said for the equally romantically reckless Jane. Based on a novel by Faith Baldwin, the film boasts some exceptional "glamour" photography by James Wong Howe. In a reversal of the usual chronology, Beauty for Sale hit the screens after a "B"-movie variation of the same basic material, 1932's Beauty Parlor.
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 85min.
- Distributor(s): MGM
- Director(s): Richard Boleslawski
- Starring: Madge Evans , Otto Kruger , Alice Brady , Una Merkel , May Robson
- Themes: Women's Friendship,Playing the Field
- Tone: Irreverent,Merry,Witty
- Keywords: beautician, beauty-salon, extramarital-affair, friendship, love
- Language: English