Plot & Details
The reinvention of Verdi's masterpiece, La Traviata, as sung by world-famous French coloratura soprano Natalie Dessay, is the subject of Philippe Beziat's thrilling new movie. A modern, minimalist, post-punk approach strips away the opulence and grandiosity associated with operatic productions. Concentrating on director Jean-François Sivadier's working relationship with Dessay, the film reveals how two great creative minds build the story of a doomed love affair. The stars rehearse in what look like yoga outfits, on a bare stage, with minimal props. The final production, set against a backdrop of sky and clouds, punctuated by a single chandelier, features Violetta and Alfredo (a darkly gorgeous Charles Castronovo) as the very essence of hipster-chic. Their passion, however, is for the ages. With music performed by the London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Louis Langree.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Art and Experimental,Documentary,Special Interest
- Run Time: 112min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/15/2013
- DVD Release Date: 11/12/2013
- Status: In Theaters
- Distributor(s): Distrib Films, NYTD, Sophie Dulac Distribution
- Director(s): Philippe Béziat
- Starring: Natalie Dessay , Charles Castronovo , Louis Langrée , Ludovic Tézier
- Keywords: opera, production [showbiz], stage, theater
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (05-15-2013)
- Language: French