Plot & Details
Two of Spain's biggest female stars headline this offbeat comedy about the battle of wills between good and evil. Heaven is not getting its fair share of business for the afterlife, so Lola (Victoria Abril), an angel who sings in a nightclub located beyond the pearly gates, is sent to Earth to drum up business by her boss, Marina (Fanny Ardant). Her first prospect is Manny (Demián Bichir), a prizefighter with an injury that could take his life at any time. As Lola tries to claim Manny's soul for the Lord, the wicked Jack Davenport (Gael García Bernal) believes that the Devil deserves the boxer's soul, and he sends one of Hell's waitresses, Carmen (Penélope Cruz), to seal the deal. On Earth, Lola takes the form of Manny's former love and urges him to mend fences with his mother, while seductive Carmen tries to persuade Manny to return to the ring, knowing that another fight would mean his death. While Lola and Carmen wage war over Manny's soul, they maintain their cover by working at a grocery store, where they both learn a few lessons about the pitfalls of earthly capitalism. Meanwhile, Manny is dealing with financial problems of his own -- he owes money to the city's corrupt police commissioner (Emilio Gutiérrez Caba), who is using his strong-arm men to "persuade" Manny to pay up. Released in Europe as Sin Noticias de Dios (which translates as No News From God), Don't Tempt Me was a box-office success in Spain when it was released in late 2001, though it wouldn't reach American theaters until 2003.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 115min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/22/2003
- DVD Release Date: 02/17/2004
- Distributor(s): First Look
- Director(s): Agustín Díaz Yanes
- Starring: Victoria Abril , Penélope Cruz , Demián Bichir , Fanny Ardant , Gael García Bernal
- Themes: Message From God,Unlikely Heroes,Obsessive Quests
- Tone: Fanciful,Slick,Upbeat,Whimsical,Bright,Stylized
- Keywords: Hell,angel,boxing,competition,heaven,prizefighter,soul
- Country of Origin: Spain (11-28-2001),USA - Limited (08-22-2003)
- Language: Latin,English,French,Spanish