Plot & Details
Paul Reubens's followup to the box-office hit Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is just as outrageous and cartoonish, though not as good. This time, child-man Pee-Wee runs a colorful farm, chock full of talking animals and outsized produce. On the morning after a tornado of Wizard of Oz dimensions, Pee-Wee awakens to discover that a travelling circus has been deposited in his back yard. Befriended by circus owner Kris Kristofferson, Pee-Wee takes an acrobatic job, hoping to impress lovely trapeze artist Valeria Golino--thereby incurring the jealous rage of his hometown sweetie Penelope Ann Miller. When the circus is faced with bankruptcy, Pee-Wee comes up with a brilliant idea: why not stage a three-ring spectacular celebrating the wonders of agriculture? A partial takeoff of such earlier sawdust-trail flicks as Martin and Lewis' Three Ring Circus and Disney's Toby Tyler, Big Top Pee-Wee is generally entertaining, but goes off in too many directions at once, leaving a lot of loose plot ends and underdeveloped characters. Also, Pee-Wee's overactive libido (at least in this film!) is not all that suitable for his younger fans. Even so, there are plenty of hilarious set-pieces. Big Top Pee-Wee was produced and cowritten by Paul Reubens.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Foreign
- Run Time: 86min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/31/1995
- DVD Release Date: 07/06/2004
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Randal Kleiser
- Starring: Paul Reubens , Kris Kristofferson , Valeria Golino , Penelope Ann Miller , Susan Tyrrell
- Themes: Saintly Fools,Talking Animals,Circuses & Carnivals
- Tone: Goofy,Light,Quirky,Silly,Upbeat
- Keywords: acrobatics, bankruptcy, circus, circus-performer, farm-animals, love-triangle, tornado, trapeze-artist
- Country of Origin: USA (07-22-1988)