Plot & Details
Jan-Michael Vincent plays a self-destructive beach bum to whom surfing is a Zen experience. We first meet Vincent in the devil-may-care 1960s, in the company of his carefree buddies William Katt and Gary Busey. The boys reunite ten years later, after one has served time in Vietnam. The beach is still there, the waves still break upon the shore, and towards the end of the film, the characters become people that we truly care about. Barbara Hale, the real-life mother of costar William Katt, makes a piquant supporting appearance. Cut from 129 minutes to 104 for its pay-cable release, Big Wednesday is also known as Summer of Innocence.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 126min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/11/2003
- DVD Release Date: 07/09/2002
- Director(s): John Milius
- Starring: Jan-Michael Vincent , William Katt , Gary Busey , Patti D'Arbanville , Lee Purcell
- Themes: Haunted By the Past,Redemption,Faltering Friendships,Starting Over,Surfing
- Tone: Bittersweet,Cathartic,Compassionate,Earnest,Elegiac,Intimate
- Keywords: friendship, reunion, boy, coming-of-age, sports, surfing, veteran [military]
- Language: English