Plot & Details
Bosnian-born filmmaker Emir Kusturica made this farce, set in a Gypsy settlement along the banks of the Danube, where three generations of characters burst forth in manic and frenetic displays of charm, confusion, and chaos. Garbage dump godfather Grga Pitic (Sabri Sulejman) and cement czar Zarije Destanov (Zabit Memedov), both in their 80s, remain friends even though they haven't seen each other in 25 years. Zarije's son Matko Destanov (Bajram Severdzan) goes to Grga for a loan. Matko is double-crossed by his partner, gypsy gangster Dadan Karambolo (Srdan Todorovic), who demands that Matko's son, Zare Destanov (Florijan Ajdini), marry Dadan's small sister, Afrodita (Salija Ibraimova). Unfortunately, Afrodita and Zare have absolutely no interest in each other. Cute barmaid Ida (Branka Katic) and Zare fall in love and only have eyes for each other as plans get underway for the wedding of Zare and Afrodite. The sudden death of Zarije seems to offer a solution, since no gypsy would have a wedding and a funeral on the same day. However, Dadan delays the death announcement by hiding Zarije, packed in ice, in the attic. The wedding celebration gets underway amid numerous madcap mishaps and misadventures. With a soundtrack of gypsy music and songs, the funny film features numerous non-professionals in the cast. Shown in competition at the 1998 Venice Film Festival and at the 1998 New York Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Foreign
- Run Time: 129min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/10/1999
- Distributor(s): October
- Director(s): Emir Kusturica
- Starring: Bajram Severdzan , Florijan Ajdini , Salija Ibraimova , Branka Katic , Srdjan Todorovic
- Themes: Nothing Goes Right,Hide the Dead Body
- Tone: Humorous,Light,Madcap,Quirky,Upbeat,Witty
- Keywords: Gypsies,chaos,death,double-cross,gangster,loan,wedding
- Country of Origin: France (09-30-1998),USA (05-14-1999)
- Language: Serbo-Croatian,Romani