Plot & Details
Sun-worshiping Californians are disappearing by the droves at a popular beach hangout, and a pair of extremely gruff detectives (John Saxon and Burt Young) grumble their way through the case until the real culprit is discovered... it seems a giant burrowing sand-monster with a taste for well-tanned human flesh has set up house beneath the surface and has been partaking of beach bums and bunnies, sucking them down to a nasty (but mostly unseen) death. The creature is kept completely concealed until the final minutes, but its triumphant arrival reveals the real reason the filmmakers kept it hidden so long: the dreaded beast looks like a giant artichoke! The potential for campy fun in this premise is defeated by a completely straight, plodding detective story, but at least Saxon and Young turned in enjoyably cranky performances before picking up their checks.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Horror,Thriller
- Run Time: 89min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/17/2005
- Director(s): Jeffrey Bloom
- Starring: David Huffman , Marianna Hill , John Saxon , Otis Young , Stefan Gierasch
- Themes: Terror in the Water,Missing Persons,Murder Investigations
- Tone: Creepy,Gruesome
- Keywords: beach, investigator, monster, sand, sea-monster