Plot & Details
Blue Chips examines greed, cheating, and "winning at all costs" in the world of college basketball. Nick Nolte plays the stressed-out coach on the verge of his first losing season, who hits the road in search of new players not already signed by a bigger school. He finds three prospects: a precision Chicago shooter (Anfernee Hardaway), a giant farmboy (Matt Nover), and a talented troublemaker (Shaquille O'Neal). All three, wise to the ways of college basketball recruitment, make excessive financial and lifestyle demands before they can be persuaded to come to the school; the coach, already haunted by accusations of underhanded dealings, doesn't want to dig himself a deeper hole but has no choice.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 108min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/18/1994
- DVD Release Date: 03/29/2005
- Distributor(s): Fox
- Director(s): William Friedkin
- Starring: Nick Nolte , Mary McDonnell , J.T. Walsh , Ed O'Neill , Alfre Woodard
- Themes: Basketball Players,Work Ethics
- Tone: Biting,Tense
- Keywords: basketball,cheating,coach,fixed [corruption],sports