Plot & Details
Blue Sky was the last film directed by Tony Richardson (Tom Jones) before his death in 1991 and one of the last releases from once-thriving Orion Films, whose bankruptcy kept the picture on the shelf for several years. It also features two career-high performances by Tommy Lee Jones and Jessica Lange, who won the Best Actress Oscar for this role, as Hank and Carly Marshall, a military couple whose marriage unravels under the pressure of his job and her mental instability. Hank is an Army captain at odds with his superiors over the wisdom of nuclear testing. Carly is a free spirit spiralling into a dangerous depression after the family's move from Hawaii to a nowhere base in Alabama alarms the couple's older daughter (Amy Locane) and sends Carly into an affair with the base commander (Powers Boothe).
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 101min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/16/1994
- DVD Release Date: 02/06/2001
- Director(s): Tony Richardson
- Starring: Jessica Lange , Tommy Lee Jones , Powers Boothe , Carrie Snodgress , Amy Locane
- Themes: Infidelity,Crumbling Marriages,Military Life
- Tone: Melancholy,Moody,Passionate,Poignant,Warm
- Keywords: daughter,marriage-problems,mental-illness,military,military-base,nuclear-weapon
- Country of Origin: USA (09-16-1994)
- Language: English
|Year||Award||Category||Cast & Crew||Result|
|1994||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences||Best Actress||Jessica Lange||Won|