Plot & Details
To fully appreciate Boy in Blue, it's helpful to know a little bit about the sport of "sculling"-or competitive rowing. Nicolas Cage stars as the real-life Ned Hanlan, who at the turn of the century was Canada's foremost sculling champ. A wild, uncontrollable youth, Hanlan is "adopted" by a gambler named Bill (David Naughton), who promotes the boy on the sculling circuit for his own monetary gain. Ruthlessly businessman Knox (Christopher Plummer) assumes control of Hanlan's career, but when Ned discovers just how ruthless Knox can be, he casts his lot with the first honest man he's met, inventor-speculator Walter (Sean Sullivan). Hanlan's professional success is capped by his marriage to Margaret (Cynthia Dale), Knox's previously unattainable niece. The by-the-numbers Boy in Blue was given an R rating due to a few disposable sex scenes, thereby cutting its potential audience (hero-worshipping youths) in half.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 97min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/17/1986
- DVD Release Date: 02/07/2006
- Distributor(s): 20th Century Fox
- Director(s): Charles Jarrott
- Starring: Nicolas Cage , Cynthia Dale , Christopher Plummer , David Naughton , Sean Sullivan
- Themes: Underdogs,Mentors
- Tone: Earnest,Heartwarming,Lyrical,Poignant
- Keywords: champion,competition,entrepreneur,gambling,mentor,oarsman,rowing,sculling
- Country of Origin: USA (01-17-1986)